Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Green Knight--Lurking Beast of Prey [1184 AD] VII Part One

The Green Knight
Lurking Beast of Prey


[1184 AD: Angelina of Glastonbury]

VII
By Dennis L. Siluk




“Before the Green Knight knew of Angelina, he was known of her.”




[Part one of two]


Sward in hand, the Green Knight, silently slipped between the large columns of the underground fortress of sorts, more likened to an ancient Roman dungeon, a ruins from before the days of Christ, or during, perhaps even catacombs, for there were many tunnels; thus the Green Knight stood within these black shadows floating about on the side of a column, expecting anything to happen, perhaps even an ambush, but he was the lurking beast of prey, not them.
“Utter silence filled my being in this underground cavern, under the great floors of Jerusalem, waiting and looking for the chance, the moment to use my great sword edge against my prey. My insides roared like a distant lion. This underground ruin was used as a gathering place for planning attacks on King Richard’s legions. I knew this long ago, but today the conspiracy would end, so I told myself.
“As I looked ahead I shifted from one open space to the next, I came to a great circle of broken pillars, and halted stone-still, emotionless, eyes gazing from wall to wall, sword in one hand, a torch in the other. Several men, Arabs were roasting meat, pieces of thick meat, it smelled good, all I could see were their backs, robs and swords to their sides.
“They had evidently build the fire recently, it was burning high, and the logs were flickering in the October chill, as a draft come down form the ceiling form someplace over head, their meat still cooking.
“ —I came up behind them like a jackal in the night, swift, for the kill, to kill one must be thirsty for it, be like a snake, dehumanize his prey, as maggots squirming in a skull, thus, across the open square I went, swiftly, as they had broken out in a hellish laughter, blinding sweat came down my forehead, I almost stopped my run: knowing the nature of my foe I went crazy from behind them, I slashed right and left with my sword.
“I brought devastation upon them, and when I was dune with my rampage: hands, feet, grinning heads, flesh, gobs of blood littered the campsite, the heads rolled off them like marble busts, teeth still grinning, eyes pale in the flickering light of the underground tomb’s fire, torn limbs, bones broken, perturbing out of their flesh, they were sliced up like the meat they were abut to devour.
“A chill filled my spine, and as I pulled myself together I had to ask: what beast did this? (Of course it was I.)
“My king was right, King Richard the Lion Heart: leave no one escape to tell false stories, and I didn’t.
‘I was shaken with horror, and my dark suspicions correct; I left this dungeon of sorts with a sigh of relief, or started to leave it when I noticed one of the muscular limbs was of a woman, then I saw her slender parts, who was this girl I asked myself, she was not Arab…”



Dennis had written the original story of "The Rape of Angelina of Glastonbury,' upon his return from that very location, in April, 2002; which won the heart of the Editor in an international magazine to call it: the best story of its kind in a decade. It was written about five years ago. Since then he wrote five linking parts to it, and here was the last part, VI, "...the Ghost of Glastonbury," a one chapter concluding story, but again, it seems to have acquired a life of its own, and Dennis has written out at the Café during lunch [El Parquetito’s, in Lima, Peru] today, part VII, which you will be seeing soon, "the Green Knight--Lurking Beast of Prey” which is a two part story. Rosa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home